www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:19 pm 
Guppy

I am in search of a 1993 Four Winns Freedom with a Johnson Outboard! I'm really looking to get a junker and fix it up so it needs to be relatively cheap. The boat just needs to be complete. I've been looking for quite a while and have been very unlucky. I'd appreciate everyones help! I live in Arizona by the way.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:13 am 
email admin your custom rank

Is there any particular reason you are looking for a 1993 specifically? The hull design was used from 1988-1993. There were a few updates over those few years and the 1993 would be the "best" of that particular hull design. That being said, there was a new hull design introduced in 1994. It is/was quite a bit different and better in a lot of ways. If I were you, I would look for a 1994 170 Freedom or a 180 Horizon with an outboard.

These boats are not easy to find. I spent a little more than a year looking for an outboard powered Four Winns. It seems that the ones that are out there are not for sale, or are complete rubbish. I had looked for an early 90s boat and then a mid 90s boat and then ended up buying what I actually wanted...the 2004 in my signature.

I still keep my eye out for these boats around here, I'll let you know if I see anything. It may not do you a lot of good since you are in Arizona though.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:56 pm 
Guppy

I prefer the 1993 (or 1992) styling to the other years. I had a family member who owned that particular boat many years ago and really enjoyed it. This will be my first boat so I know a 93 Four Winns would be great. I'll keep a look out for a 1994 as well. Thank you for your advice!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:41 pm 

What kind of budget are you looking at? Ballpark figures are fine.

I have some RSS feeds that still catch boats when they are posted on craigslist, one popped up today that I thought was sort of interesting.

This is a nice boat, but it may be way out of your price range, and it is certainly a lot newer than you were looking for, it is also in Michigan so sort of impractical.

http://flint.craigslist.org/boa/1768314365.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 pm 
Guppy

I'm looking to spend under $3,000. The cheaper the better! I'm definately looking for a project boat since money is tight. I imagine a Four Winns that has become a yard ornament and the owner would love for me to take it! If only there was a way to track someone down with this particular boat- oh well!

The boat in Michigan is nice but out of my price range. I appreciate your vigilance!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:13 am 

Those early 90s boats were pretty susceptible to rot. There is a lot of wood used in those boats and not all of it is well protected from water intrusion. I would really, very strongly suggest finding a boat that is in good condition and not one that has been relegated to lawn ornament status. Even the mid 90s boats can rot if neglected.

For $3k I think you should be able to find a decent boat that is at least usable if not in good condition. Local markets do vary though.

I started looking for a $2000 boat, then started looking for a $3000 boat, then started looking for a <$5000 boat. When I got up to around $3500-$5000 there were actually some pretty nice boats. There were also a lot of really bad boats that had either been neglected or just used really hard. In the end I just blew my budget out of the water and bought the boat I wanted....

If I were still in the market I would be looking for something like this:
http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/1770730088.html

I have no idea if you could swing a price like that, however, that seems like a lot of boat for the money.