www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:12 pm 
Shark

I might consider a 224.

My criteria include it being a 2000 or newer, in good shape, and excellent mechanical condition. I prefer a duo-prop, and fuel injection is a must. I don't want one that is scratched-up, although normal wear for the model year is acceptable. It also must be within a reasonable distance from Central Indiana. It must also have a trailer, preferably a factory Four Winns trailer. I will also consider other makes, but prefer Four Winns models.

Please PM me if you know of a boat that fits the criteria.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:17 am 
email admin your custom rank

Did you see my Horizon 260 (listed here)? It has pretty much the same amount of space except no blunt nose... Any reason why you are set on a funship?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:40 am 
268 Vista

234, probably too far and price is way high.
http://www.buyandsellboats.com/boats/for-sale/299011/

I'm sure you have seen this 234 add already.....
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005- ... p-96766616

And another you have probably seen......
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002- ... p-95218259

There are a few Funs' at Grand Sport Center in Illinois that seem pricey, and I believe those have already been linked for you.

Millhaven's 260H is a good alternative to a Funship IMO, and better in rougher conditions as well. I'm sure he would work with you on the price. :wink:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:17 am 
Shark

I need a bow ladder and 13+ people capacity. I'd consider a bowrider style if it was a great deal, and had the people capacity, though.

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

I don't think you want to go too small
here's a 22' Glastron in NH ....
http://www.irwinmarine.com/Page.aspx/diid/2719711/list/InventoryList/pageId/23513/view/Details/2002-Glastron-DX-235-DECK.aspx

the area looks extremely cramped.

You may also want to search for a Searay Sundeck.... plan on paying more though for some reason.
DanW wrote:
I need a bow ladder and 13+ people capacity. I'd consider a bowrider style if it was a great deal, and had the people capacity, though.

Thanks for the reply!

I have an extra stern ladder that you could bolt to the front. :) I think my H260 is rated for 14 ....

http://assets0.fourwinnsmarketing.com/past_product/specs//2001/09%20260%20Horizon%20(p42-46).pdf
I have my eye on a boat in Muskegon, MI ....that's more than half way to you :wink: .

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:17 pm 
Shark

The Glastron looks like a great boat, but I agree, the rear seating looks cramped. On top of that, New Hampshire is a bit too far for me.

Thanks again for the help! Keep 'em coming! The wife is pressuring to stay at $18,000, but I know I can get a little over $20. Funny thing, every boat I've seen is way over NADA average retail value. I'm not sure if people really expect to get these prices, or if NADA is low.

I'm patient. I can also wait until after July 4, when people seem to be willing to take less.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:13 am 
Dolphin

WRT to the Glastron DX 235 - If you look closely, this is IDENTICAL to the Four Winns 234 Funship from '99 to '02. In fact, they are still making that design under the Glastron name....or at least they were last time I checked. There are some minor cosmetic differences but the fundamentals of the boat are identical. I've got a '99 234 with a VP 5.7L GSi SX and here are some notes from my experience:

- It's a great size boat - actually light weight for it's size (4100# dry). This is both a positive (tow vechicle) and a negative (ride in chop). We've had many people on the boat many times and overall the performance is very good. It's great when the boat has a moderate to light load, it's tolerable fully loaded. We had 12 (6 adults and 6 kids) on it down in the keys back in March running in open water to go snorkeling and the performance was fantastic. I would not, however, want this boat with the smaller (5.0L) engine and I wish ours had a DP drive.

- This boat is different from the newer funships in that it doesn't have a forward-facing copilot seat (the 254's do though) - My wife hates this...and the cockpit area is a little smaller and the bow area is a little larger than the newer Funships. We consider this a positive because the kids tend to hang out in the bow and the adults in the back and there's plenty of room for everyone. Also this boat sits lower in the water than the newer designs - especially in the bow. This is great for lake boating as the bow swim platform is actually usable as a swim platform. It's easy to get in and out from the bow ladder. It's not so great for open water since you can get water over the bow when your anchored if the water is rougher. This is not a problem on plane since the boat gets way up out of the water.

- Finally, the gas tank is huge for a boat this size (73 gal). You can run forever on a tank with a downside that it can take forever to burn through a whole tank!

We are currently looking for a newer boat. Want to stay with FW - either a 224 or a 244 just because we'd like something a little newer. We absolutely love our current boat (other than the items mentioned above!). HOpe this unsolicited rambling is useful to you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:29 pm 
Shark

That's tons of GREAT information!

I've got a couple of questions, and I may repost one of them to the engine forum.

1. Anyone have opinions of Tahoe boats? I found a couple in the '04 to '06 range that are priced attractively and have nice powerplants. I had a 98 Nitro bass boat that was very well built and the hull performed beautifully. I know they are a cheaper boat, but since I have no experience with their larger boats, I thought it would be wise to ask.

2. How about the Sea Ray 240 Sundeck? I found a great looking 2000 model with only 114 hours. It has a 7.4 liter MPI engine on a Bravo III drive. the engine looks pristine. How many horsepower do you think this one has? The boat isn't the prettiest around in terms of color (creme w/ green. I prefer white with green), but the shape is rounded and gorgeous. It also has an aluminum trailer, which I like.

3. On the subject of the 454. Were there any unusual problems with these in 2000? I remember reading something, I believe on this forum, about the valve design being changed on the Vortec big blocks in 99 or thereabouts. Under certain conditions, they would injest water through the manifold. I know Volvo put out some kind of tech note on it and replaced a bunch of engines. Is the 454 MPI vulnerable to this? If so, is the Mercrusier Bravo III application vulnerable to it, or have they not seen the problem?

Thanks for all the info, guys! I'm going to check out some of the Glastrons like you had mentioned.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 pm 
Shark

flaMtneer wrote:
WRT to the Glastron DX 235 - If you look closely, this is IDENTICAL to the Four Winns 234 Funship from '99 to '02. In fact, they are still making that design under the Glastron name....or at least they were last time I checked. There are some minor cosmetic differences but the fundamentals of the boat are identical. I've got a '99 234 with a VP 5.7L GSi SX and here are some notes from my experience:

- It's a great size boat - actually light weight for it's size (4100# dry). This is both a positive (tow vechicle) and a negative (ride in chop). We've had many people on the boat many times and overall the performance is very good. It's great when the boat has a moderate to light load, it's tolerable fully loaded. We had 12 (6 adults and 6 kids) on it down in the keys back in March running in open water to go snorkeling and the performance was fantastic. I would not, however, want this boat with the smaller (5.0L) engine and I wish ours had a DP drive.

- This boat is different from the newer funships in that it doesn't have a forward-facing copilot seat (the 254's do though) - My wife hates this...and the cockpit area is a little smaller and the bow area is a little larger than the newer Funships. We consider this a positive because the kids tend to hang out in the bow and the adults in the back and there's plenty of room for everyone. Also this boat sits lower in the water than the newer designs - especially in the bow. This is great for lake boating as the bow swim platform is actually usable as a swim platform. It's easy to get in and out from the bow ladder. It's not so great for open water since you can get water over the bow when your anchored if the water is rougher. This is not a problem on plane since the boat gets way up out of the water.

- Finally, the gas tank is huge for a boat this size (73 gal). You can run forever on a tank with a downside that it can take forever to burn through a whole tank!

We are currently looking for a newer boat. Want to stay with FW - either a 224 or a 244 just because we'd like something a little newer. We absolutely love our current boat (other than the items mentioned above!). HOpe this unsolicited rambling is useful to you...

I found a '99 234 for sale for an extremely low price. It is said to be in "immaculate" condition, but I don't know the engine hours yet. I like the 234, and based upon your description, it would fit the bill. It is listed as a Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI, so I'm guessing that is the same power package as yours, or might it be a dual-prop?

I'm going to try and make a run at this boat.

When you put yours into saltwater, did you have it lifted, or do you have a galvanized trailer? I'd love to go down there and don't know how exactly to do it with a painted trailer. I know for sure I won't dip that kind of trailer into the water. I've done that once with a bass boat, and it survived, but required repairs.

One more thing, what is the top end speed on your 234, trimmed out?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 pm 
Dolphin

Dan,
Mine is a 5.7 GSI with an SX outdrive (single prop). I'm running a 14.25x21" prop (stanless steel). I've recorded 51+ mph (51.7 I think) on the GPS with 2 people on board and probably half a tank of gas. It's got plenty of top end for me. I do wish it had the Duo-prop outdrive to get up on plane a little quicker when I've got a full load of people. If you can, before you buy, do a lake test with the boat loaded the way you intend to use it most and get a feel yourself for how it performs, etc.

When we use it in saltwater, which is about 25% of the time, I put in off the trailer. I bought a "new" Karavan (2006 repo) galvanized trailer last summer to replace the original FW trailer which was also galvanized. I'm very picky about maintenance and the FW trailer was nothing but problems for me - probably a combination of the previous owner and the trailer shop I was using. The new trailer has been great...so far....knock on wood! I just flush EVERYTHING after each saltwater use (trailer frame, axles, brakes, winch, etc, and boat motor and drive, and wash everything on the boat down with freshwater). For us, saltwater is some of the best boating down here. You're right about the painted trailer - you don't want to put that in saltwater.

I've got ~520 hours on the motor/drive - it had around 280 when we bought it 5 years ago. I've replaced the risers and manifolds and was told this is a 10-yearish item so you may want to take a good look at those as it's not a cheap fix. I've replaced a lot of other stuff as well, but nothing that I'd consider out of the ordinary for an 11 year old boat. You'll just want to take a good look at everything and consider a professional survey. Let me know if you have any other questions and I hope things work out better for you this time around.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 pm 
Nauti Luv

This is at my dealer in the Dallas area:

http://phildillboats.com/index.php?opti ... =199&#=top

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 pm 
Shark

aguyindallas wrote:

I like that Chris Craft. Was surprised to see it is a Four Winns with badge-engineering! How much do you think they'd come off of the 24,500 price?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm 
Nauti Luv

DanW wrote:
aguyindallas wrote:

I like that Chris Craft. Was surprised to see it is a Four Winns with badge-engineering! How much do you think they'd come off of the 24,500 price?

Unsure really...but I am friends with the finance guy there...his name is Rodney.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:09 pm 
Snub Nose Commander

We have just decided to sell ours and look for a cruiser. Might be a little to pricey if your looking very used.

Ours is a 2008 with under 70 hours with tower and all the options. Looking at about 35 in Kansas for it. Let me know if you want any more details.

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm 
Shark

tackleshep wrote:
We have just decided to sell ours and look for a cruiser. Might be a little to pricey if your looking very used.

Ours is a 2008 with under 70 hours with tower and all the options. Looking at about 35 in Kansas for it. Let me know if you want any more details.

If the boat checks out, I'm closing a deal on a 99 234 on Friday for a really good price. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice. When I own it, I'll post pics. I'm confident in this one because I spoke to the mechanic who has serviced it for much of its life, and he says it is in top shape and runs beautifully.

We'll keep you posted!