www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:52 am 
Seahorse

I'm considering buying a 1988 Horizon 18 in Denver, CO. I'd love some help from the pros as to what to watch out for!

From what I can tell, it has a 262 CID V6 Merc engine, 172 hours on it, original. Original owner stored it indoors for more than 10 years without firing it up, and had apparently winterized it well.

There is not a scratch on the upholstery, the fiberglass, the covers, the bimini, the full enclosure, it all looks pristine. From underneath, it looks like it may have touched a beach once or twice, but no scratches or dings.

I'm buying it to pull a family, tubes, skis, wakeboards, etc.... I am concerned that the engine may not have enough power to pull a big guy out of the water, having been told that I need to focus on the
V8 engines.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:45 am 
email admin your custom rank

With the right prop it should be fine.
Post in the Boating Banter section and I think you'll get more feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 am 
Guppy

We have a H180 with a 6 cylinder 240HP and find it has plenty of power to pull tubes and skiers when the boat is full of people. V8 would be good for die-hard skiers but for tubing, wakeboarding and skiing we are very happy with the 6.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 am 

In 1988 Four Winns was owned by OMC...so that V6 is likely attached to an OMC Cobra drive.

I peronsally like the design and durability of the OMC outdrive. However, service and parts are not as easy to come by as with a Mercruiser.

As far as power is concerned a 4.3L V6 should be plenty for recreational skiing etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:14 pm 
Shark

Hobie wrote:
I'm considering buying a 1988 Horizon 18 in Denver, CO. I'd love some help from the pros as to what to watch out for!

From what I can tell, it has a 262 CID V6 Merc engine, 172 hours on it, original. Original owner stored it indoors for more than 10 years without firing it up, and had apparently winterized it well.

There is not a scratch on the upholstery, the fiberglass, the covers, the bimini, the full enclosure, it all looks pristine. From underneath, it looks like it may have touched a beach once or twice, but no scratches or dings.

I'm buying it to pull a family, tubes, skis, wakeboards, etc.... I am concerned that the engine may not have enough power to pull a big guy out of the water, having been told that I need to focus on the
V8 engines.

Any thoughts?

First welcome!! I'm still a newbie here as well... Secondly you might want to know that you've posted in the Swap Shop rather than in the actual forum, so I would post over in Boat Banter as already suggested. 8)
The combo you are asking about (w/V6) should make for a pretty good boat. I had a 4.3 in a Caravelle a few years back and it was a great little boat. Most will agree that you'll never have to much getty up in a boat :wink:... resale (if that's an issue) may only be affected in the time it takes to sell rather than price. I recently purchased and rarely gave a look at anything other than a V8 unless the price was really good. However you're probably getting your boat at a better price point up front as well (hopefully). Test the boat... even ski behind it and be sure it'll do what you're after. If everything checks out and the price is ok.. then enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:22 am 
Seahorse

Thanks all for the feedback, it is reassuring.

I've had the boat out a few times, liked the performance and finished the purchase.

I will post any new topics in the boat banter section, as I am positive that I will have more questions!

I do, however, appreciate your responses here. Apologies in advance for any newbie posting mistakes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 am 
Shark

Hobie wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback, it is reassuring.

I've had the boat out a few times, liked the performance and finished the purchase.

I will post any new topics in the boat banter section, as I am positive that I will have more questions!

I do, however, appreciate your responses here. Apologies in advance for any newbie posting mistakes.

Enjoy! and you MUST post pictures asap! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:53 pm 
Seahorse

Here's the pics that I have so far...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 pm 

Wow, that boat looks great specially for its age. You need some real trailer tires though, those whitewall car tires need to go!