www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:41 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

There is no impact to a forum when an image is hosted off site and linked to. Most if not all of my images are wider than 600 pixels and therefore I can't post them (unless I just post a URL) that, seriously needs to be changed. If you wish to impose a limit, at least make it reasonable for this day and age, 1500 pixels wide would be more appropriate!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:44 am 
wkearney99

I second this suggestion. It's one thing to have threads become unreadable because of overly large pictures. It's another thing entirely to have forum editing software inflict arbitrary limitations like this. LOSE THE SIZE CHECKS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 am 
Mental Floss

Okay guys and gals, I've set it to unlimited. We will see how that works. If some pics are getting posted that are way too big and affecting readability, I'll have to put some constraints on the size.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 am 
230 Mike

Thank you! I predict some kind of limit will have to be turned back on, just maybe a little bigger than it was before.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:56 am 
I fix stuff

Brett248Vista wrote:
There is no impact to a forum when an image is hosted off site and linked to. Most if not all of my images are wider than 600 pixels and therefore I can't post them (unless I just post a URL) that, seriously needs to be changed. If you wish to impose a limit, at least make it reasonable for this day and age, 1500 pixels wide would be more appropriate!

you can post them, but 1500 is to wide (and inappropriate), IMHO and I have been a web designer programmer for over ten years. So i kind of know what I am talking about. Think about it, you have to take the lowest common denominator into the process, most laptops are 800 pixels wide, take in account for borders of the browsers, etc in reality you are talking 769.

jvalich and myself will discuss, open limits hurts readability as Mike230 brings up. There is a reason that the forum software has
the ability of size limitations of images, if we decide to confine the sizes - that is what will happen.

no jabs intended at either parties.

2001 CBR1100XX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:24 am 
Dolphin

Quote:
Thank you! I predict some kind of limit will have to be turned back on, just maybe a little bigger than it was before.

I agree, been to forums that the photos are so big they make viewing harder due to the fact the photo won't fit on my computer screen. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:17 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

Waytooslow,

I know a thing or two about the internet, I've been here, well, since before Al Gore invented it. I've done my share of web design, web server hosting, chat server hosting, IT Support, Mainframe Operating etc. And haven't times changed? Do people honestly run 800x600 anymore? My laptop is 1024x1280 and it's never been changed from native pannel resolution.

I downsize all of my images for the web, I have to because my provider of more than 17 years decided to disk quota me, and now everything has to be small. Small to me is 800 pixels wide. There is a difference between having an ungodly huge signature photo, and posting technical photos when doing a project. The restrictions really impact the latter, the former I couldn't care less about.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter, it's great to have moderation that will respond!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Was a new limit recently imposed? I just got a warning about pixel size and had to scale a photo down to 350 x 230 or something like that. Really kind of small.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:47 pm 
I fix stuff

impulse wrote:
Was a new limit recently imposed? I just got a warning about pixel size and had to scale a photo down to 350 x 230 or something like that. Really kind of small.

This is because the pages are getting to long of a scroll to actually, getting information. If you want to have a link to your gallery, feel free.

2001 CBR1100XX

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:23 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I don't care to see many of the oversized pics (guilty, likewise). I am very happy with linking pics to Photobucket, or whatever. This way the text loads up quickly for peeps like me that just scan the headlines, and we can browse the pics as desired. just my .02.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:46 pm 
wkearney99

+1 on using photobucket.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 am 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
Bill,

At the risk of sounding a bit dumb... How did you manage to post the large pics on your engine compartment thread with the new limits. I have been using the image code on photobucket, I thought that if you just used a link to a stored image on photobucket it would show as a link and not open the photo untill you clicked on the link wording.

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:39 am 

impulse wrote:

When I recieved this warning I was posting a link to a photo that was being hosted on photobucket. That's what suprised me and all the photo's I've linked to on photobucket I've scaled down some anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 am 
wkearney99

beyond the blue wrote:
At the risk of sounding a bit dumb... How did you manage to post the large pics on your engine compartment thread with the new limits. I have been using the image code on photobucket, I thought that if you just used a link to a stored image on photobucket it would show as a link and not open the photo untill you clicked on the link wording.

When you look at a photo uploaded in photobucket you'll notice there are some text boxes on it's page. One of those contains text for use in a forum IMG Code tag. Copy that text and paste it into a message here. Works great.

This means image is hosted over at photobucket server, not here on the forum server. So it doesn't have to fit into any of the forums size restrictions. Nor does it waste any of the forum's bandwidth being downloaded (this is the most beneficial feature). Photobucket also automagically resizes the pictures.

In general it's best to post pictures as small as possible. Otherwise it will slow down the browsing experience for everyone trying to read the page. If you need to post a larger resolution image then consider keeping the big one up on photobucket and only posting a small thumbnail to a forum. It's possible to wrap an IMG tag with a URL tag to let you link from the small image to the outside web site. I generally only do this when posting up a picture of a part. I put a link back to where it can be found online. Helps point someone directly to where they can get it.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 am 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
Bill
The method you suggest, is the way I've always done it, but when I tried to use that method on Tuesday to put photos in my Ooops thread in the Banter section I got the file warning message hence the rather small pics. I have just tried a sample post now and didn't get the message this time. Very confusing!! :?

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300