www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Site suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 am 
Shark

The last couple weeks I've probably read just about every post on this site. One thing that would be nice to see is when people do their "how-to", they provide more comprehensive pictorials. The web host can then make a set of sticky how-to posts that cover the most common things done.

Some of the basic stuff to get started:
Trailer Bearing repack/replace
Prop-changes
Oil Changes
Gear lube changes
Fuel filter changes

Towing tips/tricks
Launch/recovery tips/tricks

Winterizing engine
Shrink wrapping

Waxing/Buffing
Scuff removal

VDO instrument changes
Bellows replacement
Gimbal replacement/lubing
Drive alignment

Would probably get the site more activity. Now before you hit me with tomatos and say "where's your helpful post", I'll just state what I've observed. There's a ton of useful posts but the "how-to" is lacking but is probably the most useful purpose of web forums.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes, just my thoughts as I wait for May to get here :P

Post subject: Re: Site suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:25 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Along the same lines, how about the ability to upload/link doc's. Many ask about pics and sections of manuals in general. Is there the ability to upload (legally, of course) for example a FW Horizon manual for all to share? Certainly this would apply to various other pdf's as well.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 pm 
Shark

Walt wrote:
Along the same lines, how about the ability to upload/link doc's. Many ask about pics and sections of manuals in general. Is there the ability to upload (legally, of course) for example a FW Horizon manual for all to share? Certainly this would apply to various other pdf's as well.

It's a chicken/egg thing when maintaining a website. The more capability of the site also means more $$ for the person who runs the site. I like the auto_upload idea as well. However, once the site allows uploading (and permanancy of pics, etc) it will require sponsors to at least cover the cost of storage and hosting features, etc.

If someone posts a nice how-to pictorial and the pics are removed from another hosting site, it then becomes useless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

AS far as the cost going up to maintain the site maybe the owner should try making and selling products such as t-shirts, keychains ect. to make some money to help with expenses. Over on the Baja forum I am on the owners sell all sort of Baja related items to help maintain the site. They also have a membership fee which I really don't like, but its $16.95/year and with your paid membership they send you a free Baja t-shirt so with that I don't mind the money. Its really like buying a t-shirt and getting free membership. They also do have many sponsors who contribute.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:54 pm 

Sites don't have to cost much of anything now days. You can host on godaddy unlimited space and bandwidth for 19.95 a month. It's a little bit of a process to switch over, but not that bad. This is a phpbb site with free software and upgrades.
The mysql data base can be set up before the switch over. I've got a few sites and the one in 2006 was super high traffic and was costing 20k a month for servers. Even with that it's now cheaper at about 150 a month.

There are a ton of features that can be put on, but if the owner does not know how to do this on his own, the cost of getting someone to do php work is not cheap. If it is cheap, you don't know what your getting.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm 

As far as the OP goes. A section for "how too" stuff is a 2 minute process and sticky as you go. It would be a great addition to the site as there are many, many repeated threads on how to do something. A links section for parts and what not's would be great also.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:07 pm 
I fix stuff

maybe a short email to the admin - if you want a sticky - email me. Maybe one of the old crew would like to help admin the board. also there is an area for suggestions,

why no uploads? bandwidth plain and simple. this site chews up 5 gigs of data transfers a month the way it is. Now if I can start charging membership (something I would rather not do)....

I pay for this site out of my own pocket. Selling bumper stickers, key chains and the like requires up front bucks, not to mention the fulfillment end - I have a fulltime job as well as family etc..

And don't even get me started on Go Daddy. :roll:

2001 CBR1100XX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm 
Villiage Idiot

scottmph wrote:
I pay for this site out of my own pocket. Selling bumper stickers, key chains and the like requires up front bucks, not to mention the fulfillment end - I have a fulltime job as well as family etc..

And Thank you for keeping this terrific resource FREE!! :)

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:19 pm 
I fix stuff

Walt wrote:
scottmph wrote:

And Thank you for keeping this terrific resource FREE!! :)

You are so welcome :D

- to be specfic - this site is located on a VPS server that I run for my own testing purposes (sr web developer for a major health gpo by day - freelancer by night) there is 10 other sites running on this box - none which generate cash :cry: - all pro bono. two other forums as well.

2001 CBR1100XX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm 
Shark

Hey Scott,
Please don't take my suggestions as a bash. I TOTALLY understand that forums are sometimes a hobby rather than putting food on the table. I also realize the time sinks the can quickly become.

FWIW, I base my ideas on some car repair forums for the commom threads the come up over and over. Pictorials are priceless.

Have you contacted Four Winns about maybe helping with a small sponsorship?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:52 pm 
Goldfish

Hey why not offer a section on the forums for VENDORS to make group discount offers to us Four Winns owners. I am willing to contact Samson Towers and get one started if you can get a new section started. Of course we can expand to all kinds of vendors but we need to utilize the strength in numbers philosophy and get some great deals for all of us members.