www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:27 pm 
Goldfish

I had to remove the rear bolster to stitch a seam that had ripped open (use polyester thread and stainless steel staples). Good practice for the inevitable one day having to pull the motor (fingers crossed). There are four 10-24 studs on the back side, and 1 not so obvious hidden phillips head #10 sheet metal screw on each side that screws into the sides of the fiberglass shell. The carpet panel can stay put if only removing the bolster. Removing the carpet panel is intuitive. While I'm that far into it, I did remove the carpet panel to get better access to cleaning the bilge. I also ordered new sound deadening foam for the engine cover to replace the disintegrating foam that has turned to powder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:23 pm 
Starfish

The rear on the Sundowner is very similar. When I took mine apart to do some stitching the wood disintegrated. The winter project that year turned into having to completley fabricat the wooden frame. Used pieces of the orginal as pattersn to make up all the pieces from marine grade plywood. Came out real well and I used the original upholstery as a pattern to make up new skins to reupholster the whole setup. Was not a bad job to do but in retrospect I would have used Kingboard instead of plywood as a totally non rot solution.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Did the same job on one of the interior coaming panels on my '88 H-200. Took a while but came out well. The last 18" or so was really rotted. Just duplicated it in treated wood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22zbax6h4l54 ... 3.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcrv9e5b579ub ... 1.JPG?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am 
Starfish

I purchased a Sailrite walking foot sewing machine that was totally up to the task of re-doing the vinyl skins for the upholstery. I was able to get the matching vinyl though Great Lakes Skipper. Used a seam splitter to separate the old upholstery and used the pieces as patterns to make new. Took plenty of pics and marked the seams to ensure the new pieces were assembled correctly. All in all a very satisfying job innthe end and the new upholstery looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 pm 

I've also had success repairing with simply a small spool of coats outdoor thread from walmart and singer upholstery needle set. maybe less than 20 dollar investment. You can cross-stitch a few feet or so easily by hand... its really not as hard as it seems. My repair has lasted years with no issues. I've also not had any issues with just using treated plywood as replacement for bad boards (marine grade is big bucks over here and not sold in anything other than a 4'x8' which is usually way more than you need). Stitching more than that, bring on the sewing machine! lol fwiw the reverse staple gun seems to work better than the usual standard grip one for boats.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:17 am 

As far as the wood, I've used treated ACQ wood for the big sun pad and other interior panels and as long as they are not wet constantly it does last. The one place which was an issue believe it or not was the bow flip up cushions. Water tends to collect right in the rear corner and I had one rot in just a few years till I noticed after some rain that water just collects there. Drilled a few drain holes to keep that from happening again.
An even better plan would be to use epoxy coated plywood or step up to a composite that will take staples.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II