www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:10 pm 
Think these decks were used by Four Winns from like 2008-2015. FW must've bought tons of them in bulk.

It works good, but no bluetooth or satellite. Anybody replaced with a more current model? Sony doesn't seem to be dealing much in the marine decks anymore.

Hoping just to replace the deck - but I prob have to go to another brand & replace the deck and helm & stern remotes as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:15 pm 
There is a Sony satellite adapter kit for the above stereo. But it was $200+ for the kit.

Might as well buy a more modern deck instead of refitting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Adding BT is easy and can be done for about $50 and less then an hour work. Adding SAT is another story, as it takes a proprietary receiver and sony cable unless you go with one of those universal mobile kits that use a 3.5mm audio cable and plug into the AUX or BUS Audio

By then, you are creeping up on the cost of a new head, not including remotes if you have them.

Sony does offer a marine unit thats got BT and is SAT ready. Still need the receiver and antenna, but they are universal now, not proprietary. It will support the older Sony remotes, but you lose the display if they are ones with the LCD screen.

Outside of that, you will be upgrading remotes and their cables if you change brands and want to retain an LCD display remote. Im partial to the Clarion and Fusion marine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:01 pm 
That's good info. Our last two boats had Clarion. Even upgraded to better Clarion & Kicker speakers/sub - worked awesome.

Got a buddy that swears by Fusion as well.

This FW factory Sony has got really good sound with the JL Audio speakers, amps & two subs. Orig owner ordered the boat w/premium audio. I'm a little stupified that a 2014 model boat with 'premium audio' came with no BT or SAT.

Nice thing about satellite is having classic rock in the background & modern hits for the kids when they are on board. Easy to satisfy the hoards without much effort.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 am 
Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Adding BT is easy and can be done for about $50 and less then an hour work. Adding SAT is another story, as it takes a proprietary receiver and sony cable unless you go with one of those universal mobile kits that use a 3.5mm audio cable and plug into the AUX or BUS Audio

By then, you are creeping up on the cost of a new head, not including remotes if you have them.

Sony does offer a marine unit thats got BT and is SAT ready. Still need the receiver and antenna, but they are universal now, not proprietary. It will support the older Sony remotes, but you lose the display if they are ones with the LCD screen.

Outside of that, you will be upgrading remotes and their cables if you change brands and want to retain an LCD display remote. Im partial to the Clarion and Fusion marine.

Hey can you explain how you add BT to the Sony? Keen on looking into this!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 am 

@dcerra

There are half a dozen good external universal blue tooth receivers. They plug up to the head unit's rear AUX-In RCA plugs and wire to the head's power harness. Wet Sounds, Kicker, metra, cerwin vega and JL all have these units.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:25 am 
Shark

I replaced ours with a Clarion M508 head unit. Very simple to use, more power, bluetooth etc., wireless remote and remote mount control is available also.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am 
zims1993 wrote:
I replaced ours with a Clarion M508 head unit. Very simple to use, more power, bluetooth etc., wireless remote and remote mount control is available also.

http://www.clarionmarinesystems.com/source-units/

That M508 is a nice looking unit. My last Clarion was the older M303 - worked perfectly.

Zims: Did you swap the M508 directly for the above Sony unit or similar? Hookups go ok?

Some of the new Clarion Marine products look pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 pm 
Shark

Believe I had the same Sony unit. Hookup was fairly straight forward. Did have to cut and reconnect for the power wires etc, there is a factory quick disconnect harness direct to the Sony radio. I didn't have to connect any speaker wires as I have a 5 channel amp powering 4 boat speakers, sub, and tower speakers. I'm looking to get one of the remotes for the Clarion for next season, which I think will be the floating wireless remote and not a transom remote. The Clarion unit was so many more outputs then the Sony unit had. I also replaced all the original Sony speakers, in which 3 were blown out, with JL Audio MX650's, was night and day difference after was all said and done.

I did have to order a universal DIN trim border piece, Metra 89-30-0500 or similar, to cover up the holes from the Sony unit, as its screwed to the dash.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm 
Yaa, figured I would need some sort of DIN trim piece cosmetically. Or get one of the fancier new Clarion head units of similar size. Fortunately the head unit is down in the small cabin area. Remotes at the helm & stern.

Nice thing is - the boat already has JL Audio speakers & subs. Still can't get my head around why FW installed such an old style deck in a 2014 model boat. They must've had boxes of non-current head units in the warehouse. Toss up between that Sony & an 8-track.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:54 pm 

I went through two of those and finally replaced mine with a Fusion marine radio. My wife can plug her iPod right into the unit. Very happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:30 pm 

Quote:
Still can't get my head around why FW installed such an old style deck in a 2014 model boat.

For a 2014 boat that could have been built as early as maybe 8/2013, that head was not so old style, as marine heads go. There were just a couple units available with blue tooth and only a couple external blue tooth units on the market. I suspect some of the boats had molded helm panels that were intended to fit the 910ui. I also think it was leading into the 2014 year, that Sony announced the retiring of the 910UI. At that point, F/W was well into production and stock was on hand. This meant tossing inventory as well as re-tooling some helms. Sony did release the DSX310BTX around the end of 2013, but it had a wider and shorter face then the 910ui, so it may not have fit all the boats that 910ui did. I also cant remember if the 310BTX supported the LCD remote, but it was getting retired anyway, so none of the new sony heads would power the large LCD displays anyway.

The clarion M502 was, IIRC, their first with integrated BT, and it was a total POS, in terms of user navigation. We've actually had a few owners toss them in favor of a new model thats more user friendly.

Fusion had integrated BT in their high end systems, but they were 3X the cost of the sony. For a head in the price-point of the sony, one would have had to go with fusion's external universal BT receiver. Lets just say, it suxs. Either way. both the Clarion and Fusion setups would have cost more. Not saying F/W is cheap, but note that well before boats go into production, parts costs are likely worked out. Even adding $50 per boat production costs, after initial analysis, is huge.