www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:32 pm 
Seahorse

I have a 2008 318 Vista. I am looking to upgrade the cockpit stereo system. I know that the speakers need to be replaced and I am considering adding more to the cockpit/radar arch. Probably need to replace the subwoofer as well. I was wondering if I should replace the head unit for that system that’s by the electrical panel? Should I replace the amp? Any recommendations on brand and models for speakers, amps, head units??
Thanks for all of your input!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

What model is the head unit? Are there wire remotes like on helm or transom?

What is the amp's brand and model? How may speakers currently need to be powered and how many do you think you would add?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 pm 
Seahorse

Sony head unit. Sony wired remotes by helm and transom door. My boat is in winter storage and haven’t had it a full year yet...so excuse the fact that I don’t know this next answer...there are 4 speakers on the radar arch, but not sure if there are any more in the cockpit. If not, I would like to have 2 more. And again, not sure of amps brand and model. Obviously I’ll know a lot more in April, but just trying to get a jump start on planning and saving for a new system.
Thanks for the interest in this project!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 am 

Upgrading the head unit can gain you features like; Bluetooth, USP, zone volume control, app based wireless remote control, SAT ready, weather and system voltage monitor. Down side, you would be forced to upgrade the wired remotes and their extension cables. Clarion, Fusion, Kicker, Wet Sounds AquaticAV to name a few options.

If the head and remotes function just fine, for a small investment, you might be able to add a bluetooth receiver to the back, giving you wireless music streaming.

Amp wise, adding more speakers will likely require additional amp channels, so a new or additional amp. Given the improvements in the past 10 years, I would just consider upgrading the existing amp anyway. New marine amps are better sealed, more compact and WAY more efficient. This will also drive you to upgrade the amp power cabling. We see way too many OEM installs with less then ideal cable gauge. My amp go-to's are Wet Sounds and Kicker.

Speakers and woofer, again, I like the Wet Sounds and Kicker offerings. Solid products, grill color/look options, size options, can get them with LEDs if you want to add some mood lighting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm 

'08 318....you'll have the 4 speakers on the arch (back in 2012 I swapped mine to Polk db651s), a subwoofer near the starboard rear seat storage compartment. Down below on the other head unit, you'll have to in the forward berth and two behind the settee - all 4 in the cabinets facing down.

I had no complaints with the factory head unit, however on my '07 358 it has a Fusion head unit and it is very nice. I can control it from my chartplotter or an app on my phone, as well as Bluetooth...only thing I don't have on this boat vs the '08 318 is the transom remote. The Fusion has zone control but you can't beat the two head units the '08s have...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:21 pm 
Seahorse

I’ve heard a couple people on my old boat site (I used to own a 280 Rinker) talk about those Polk db651’s. Are those marine rated? Do I need marine rated head unit considering it’s in the cabinet by the electrical panel?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:36 pm 

tonytheplumber wrote:
I’ve heard a couple people on my old boat site (I used to own a 280 Rinker) talk about those Polk db651’s. Are those marine rated? Do I need marine rated head unit considering it’s in the cabinet by the electrical panel?

I believe so but not 100% sure.... I've put them on my 268, 318 and 240 with no issues. The 358 I recently picked up has all new JBLs....previous owner replaced all but the sub.

You should be fine with a non marine rated head unit but I'd look hard at Fusion. I've had the Sony you have, on two boats. Fusion is very impressive and the menus are very easy to navigate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm 

tonytheplumber wrote:

Those original DB series could not have been any further from a quality built marine speaker. Luckily, they have been retired for a few seasons now. I would not seek them out. Pole mounted tweeter with air gap right into the motor/coil, true marine speakers use a grill or bridge mounted tweeter and a continuous cone, no gap. Little to no UV inhibitors in the grill and cone for sun protection. zinc steel screws not stainless. Exposed magnet. Stamp steel basket while most all other use a composite basket. The current Polk DB series has made some steps in the right direction.

Do you need a marine head because its located in the cabin? Do you want wired remote control on the helm or transom? Is your boat wet slipped? Salt water use? Run a marine AC unit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 am 
Seahorse

I don’t know if I need the marine rated head unit.?. It is located in the cabin, right next to the entire breaker panel. I am wet slipped in freshwater. I run the marine a/c. I have a helm and transom remote that are nice to have. I understand switching head units would require running new wires to new remotes...has anyone done that? Just wondering how involved that is.?. Hey firecadet, since you had the same boat...would just upgrading the current speakers and not adding more to the cockpit be enough sound? I’m not looking to blow people off the dock! Just looking to be able to hear it while cruising and sound decent if I’m in the water behind the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 am 

Again, look at Fusion. Depending on the head unit they have wireless remotes. They aren't compatible with my head unit so I just have the wired one at the helm.

With the four arch mounted speakers and factory sub, I've never had an issue hearing it. I did put a new amp in the 358 when I picked it up and was blown away by how much power it puts out, without distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 am 
Seahorse

I didn’t realize that they offered wireless remotes!?! That sounds like the way to go! I am definitely looking into the fusion head unit, as I’ve heard a lot of good things about them. I’m considering not adding more speakers and just replacing current speakers, head unit, amp and sub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:11 am 

tonytheplumber wrote:
I didn’t realize that they offered wireless remotes!?! That sounds like the way to go! I am definitely looking into the fusion head unit, as I’ve heard a lot of good things about them. I’m considering not adding more speakers and just replacing current speakers, head unit, amp and sub

They do. Part of why I bought the 358 I did, is all the recent upgrades it has. The head unit alone was $599, definitely don't need it to play DVDs, e.t.c, but it is fully wired into the boat.

I went with a Rockford Fosgate sub.... very happy with it for the price. And the location on the 318 makes it very easy to swap out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:08 pm 

tonytheplumber wrote:
I don’t know if I need the marine rated head unit.?. It is located in the cabin, right next to the entire breaker panel. I am wet slipped in freshwater. I run the marine a/c. I have a helm and transom remote that are nice to have. I understand switching head units would require running new wires to new remotes...has anyone done that? Just wondering how involved that is.?. Hey firecadet, since you had the same boat...would just upgrading the current speakers and not adding more to the cockpit be enough sound? I’m not looking to blow people off the dock! Just looking to be able to hear it while cruising and sound decent if I’m in the water behind the boat.

Wired remotes is not going to be a function you commonly find on care audio head units.

Wired remotes are proprietary in both their connectors and their communication protocol. Further, manufactures like to change things up every few years, so even sticking with the same brand, its unlikely the new offerings will work with the older remotes. In the case of Sony, if you have the large LCD display remotes, Sony does not offer a new head that will support those LCD remotes. IF you have the smaller non-LCD remotes, last I checked, they did offer at least one head unit that had the remote plug on the back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:02 am 
Seahorse

So I’ve decided to keep the current Sony head unit because if not, I would lose the helm and transom remotes. The wireless remotes are smaller than my Sony lcd remotes and thus wouldn’t cover the hole when replacing. I’m hoping it will still sound good with a new amp, new sub and new speakers. I’m still trying to narrow down which make and model for those.
On a separate note...
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a new(or slightly used) Sony RM-X55M wired remote?? They are discontinued and I can’t seem to find any online. The one that I currently have at the helm works, but the lcd readout doesn’t...so it’s tough to know what “source” I’m on or what station I’m trying to find.
Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 am 

Clarion and Aquatic-AV both offer round wired remotes that will fit on the existing helm and transom wired remote holes. Another option is the Wet sounds MC-2 (or even the MC-1) on the helm and WS-TR on the transom. Or, the Kicker KMC4 or 5 on the helm and the KRC15 on the transom.