All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:11 pm 
Minnow

Hello everyone.

I have a 1995 190 Horizon that is in need of some TLC

Engine 502APHUE
Transom 3868175
Drive 3868156

Just removed the outdrive to inspect the gimbal and u-joints and found a world of corrosion. Gimbal was completely seized and ujoint is all rusted.
My question is on the parts I need to repair this.

Is this drive the SX cone clutch version? Or non Cone clutch? The kit/parts appear to be different.
Strangely, I didnt find a gasket between the 2 housings when I removed the outdrive. Even more strange, the diagrams don't show one on the SX model.
Surely water was getting in from between the 2 housings.
Thanks
G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

That SX outdrive in the 1994 and later models is the cone clutch design. The "OMC Cobra SX" and the Volvo Penta SX drives are basically the same thing except for the name. This was the time period that is referred to as "joint-venture" between OMC and Volvo. We had a 1995 190 Horizon with that system. The parts are different than the older drives.

When you remove the outdrive to access the driveshaft and gimbal bearing, there is no gasket on those mating surfaces. Water is fine in that area, but salt water or other conditions could cause corrosion to the housing surfaces and make removal very difficult. There is an odd shaped o-ring that seals the water passages at the mating surfaces. Check the u-joints closely. You should have grease zerks on the u-joints on the driveshaft assembly (mine did). If needed, the U-joints or the driveshaft can be replaced. If the gimbal bearing is not in really great shape it should be changed. If the gimbal bearing is OK, it should be greased via the zerk on the starboard side of the outdrive next to the transom. Also, check the driveshaft bellows very closely for condition, surface cracks, and leaks. Look closely at the forward end of the bellows next to the hose clamp screw. I had that happen twice. This bellows should be changed every few years. I recommend cleaning up the driveshaft surfaces as much as possible and covering with a thin coating of grease for rust protection.

You can find maintenance information in maintenance and parts manuals, this website, and on www.iboats.com.

Removing the outdrive for inspecion and servicing should happen every year. Buy or make a stand for the outdrive to make it easier to remove and install. The single prop SX drive weighs near 100 pounds and the dual prop DP-SM drive is more like 150 pounds. This is way too much to try to "muscle" off and on. Don't over strain and wreck your body. On that boat there is not a lot of extra room for a few of your buddies to help lift the outdrive into position. ;-)

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:23 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the response. I see now where the sealing comes from. The 4 or 5" aluminum housing that presses up against the bellows when the outdrive is fitted all the way in. Just noticed that the surface of that part that touches the bellows is corroded and not flat. one area has almost 1/4" corroded away.
Was a salt water boat for 25 years.

Looks like that part is called 3852267 Bearing Carrier. About $200 on ebay
Do you think it would be ok if I did use a gasket around the housing instead of getting a new on of these?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 pm 

You will probably need a new carrier and bellows to seal correctly. The carrier presses against the aft end of the driveshaft bellows. Add a $50 +/- bellows. Depending on condition, you may need to replace the driveshaft assembly or the replace the u-joint bearing assemblies. According to the maintenance manuals the gearsets are shimmed to a specific clearance. You might want to verify this if you are changing parts. While you are there, have a look at the rest of the outdrive for corrosion and replace the anodes. These Volvo Penta drives are pretty durable under normal use. I put over 2100 hours in 18 seasons on my '95 190 Horizon and never had the outdrive apart. But they do need care and service. Try to avoid excavating the lake bottom or chopping logs. Volvo parts can be expensive.

Don't add a gasket. That will add new problems since the outdrive and driveshaft are designed for the dimensions without a gasket.

For corrosion protection sometimes a coating of stiff grease is a good choice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 pm 
Minnow

Big Help. Thanks!
Looks like I need a new carrier.

With respect to the driveshaft, I'm trying to figure where on the driveshaft the gimbal sits and where does the seal behind the gimbal ride on?
There are 2 O-rings on the shaft. Does the Gimbal sit above the orings (closer to the Ujoint)? If not, then it appears that the seal doesnt rids on the smooth (chrome) part of the driveshaft. Reason I ask is that there is corrosion on the shaft and need to know where there cant be any..
thanks again!
G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:40 pm 

try posting up some pix
if there is that much corrosion, the previous owners did not maintain it properly because my boat has been in salt water about 20 years and it does not have corrosion in those areas at all. And yes to get the bellows to seal that bearing carrier will have to be replaced. These drive bellows seal with the screw clamp on the end that fits onto the flange of the gimble housing and they seal on the other end by the bearing carrier pushing into that end of the bellows. Mine has always sealed well and I have the boat on a salt water mooring for 6 months out of the year when I am using it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbiqnmzm0zmlt ... 5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn3zrg0ruzwz2 ... l.jpg?dl=0

here are pics of mine, you can see that its obviously used in salt water but the bearing carrier, u joints and driveshaft have no rust on them at all.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:26 pm 

The o-rings on the driveshaft are inside the gimbal bearing when installed. The factory recommends replacing the o-rings every year, but I never have. The gimbal bearing holds the driveshaft in proper alignment position so the u-joints work properly. The double set of u-joints are similar to CV (constant velocity) joints in front wheel drive vehicles. The gimbal bearing is a sealed bearing that is grease-able. The seals seal between the inner race and outer race. Th o-rings are what seal between the gimbal bearing and the driveshaft. This provides a water tight seal between the boat interior and the area inside the driveshaft bellows. In a case where the bellows develop a leak, it should not sink the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm 
Minnow

OK I see. I thought that was the function of the seal behind the gimbal bearing.
My issue now is that the smooth/shiny part of the driveshaft at the gimbal and behind it are no longer smooth/chrome/shiny. Completely covered in surface rust.
Is it mandatory that the shaft be changed?

Thanks again guys..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 pm 

You could try to clean up the driveshaft if it is not rust pitted and the u-joints are OK.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:49 am 

The main thing is the driveshaft splines, if they are nice & sharp you should be able to remove the corrosion and sand it with fine sandpaper. With I/Os you should be pulling the drive at the end of each season then you will find problems before they become big & expensive. That’s how I made mine last. Yearly maintenance and fix problems as they come up.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II