www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dumb Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:21 pm 
Dolphin

I have a few questions that I probably should know but as a relatively new boater I don't yet.

1. Getting the boat on the trailer correctly. I can not for the life of me get the boat on the trailer the right way the first (or second or third etc) time. The chines always end up sitting right on the bunk, and then I have to back it back in a little to try to move it over. Any tips on getting it centered the first time?

2. I have a 2000 190 Horizon. Did ALL of these boats come with the VDO gauge cluster? If so, then I apparently have the replacement dash, because I have all Faria separate gauges.

2A. The temp gauge doesn't work. It's part of a single multi-purpose gauge with oil pressure and others (it's not near me to tell). While that's problem enough, should I assume that the alarm won't work either, or are they separate functions so I should still get an alarm if it gets too hot?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice. I'm trying to learn.

Post subject: Re: Dumb Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome to the forum! No dumb questions here, we've all been there.

1. Are you trailering alone? If you have a helper, it helps (duh, right?) Lots of things play into how to succesfully trailer your boat. Ramp condition, water levels, currents, wind. Do you power onto your trailer or "walk" it on with lines? I guess the best piece of advice on trailering is, you WILL get better with experience.
2. Stock gauges for 1998-2001 FW's was VDO. Not sure if there was an upgrade option tho, maybe someone with a bit more historical knowledge can answer that one.
2a. Does the other gauges work in the multi-gauge setup? If so, might be something besides the gauge, like a sending unit, or bad wire.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:38 pm 
Clownfish

Well....I will leave quesion 2 and 2A for the veterans and mechanics....but I can give a few pointers on the trailering thing.

I think alot of new boaters (myself included when I got my first one about 7-8 yrs ago) make the mistake of backing the trailer in too deep. My wife drives the boat on and off the trailer and we were forever trying to get it on the bunks straight. If you have the stock guides at the back of the trailer leave the just the tips of them exposed above the water line...that usually (at least for us) puts the bunks in the right spot under water to center the boat as you drive onto the trailer. If you dont have the guides...I suggest you get some (like the tall white ones)...and when you find the sweet spot that centers your boat as you drive on ...mark the line with black tape so you can see when to stop backing the trailer into the water. Might take a few tries to get it....and you may even have to back a little deeper once you get the boat cenetered so you can winch it all the way up to the bow roller....but it will save you alot of hassle in the end trying to get the thing on straight.

Hope that helps!!

2014 Four Winns SL242 - Volvo Penta 320 DP
2014 Ford Expedition Limited

1997 Four Winns Sundowner 225 - SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:42 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks for the quick reply!

NiagaraChillin wrote:
1. Are you trailering alone? If you have a helper, it helps (duh, right?) Lots of things play into how to succesfully trailer your boat. Ramp condition, water levels, currents, wind. Do you power onto your trailer or "walk" it on with lines? I guess the best piece of advice on trailering is, you WILL get better with experience.

I've always got someone (wife/brother-in-law/buddy) there helping me out. I've done both powering on and walking it. One thing I figured out is that the ramp we use is tilted pretty badly near the dock, so I've moved out away from the dock and it's better, but it still takes 2+ tries to get it centered. It's not the end of the world, but I see people back in, drive the boat on, and they're done. I feel like I should be smart enough to figure it out.

NiagaraChillin wrote:
2. Stock gauges for 1998-2001 FW's was VDO. Not sure if there was an upgrade option tho, maybe someone with a bit more historical knowledge can answer that one.
2a. Does the other gauges work in the multi-gauge setup? If so, might be something besides the gauge, like a sending unit, or bad wire.

Yep the others are all working fine. Any ideas on if the alarm would still work even if the gauge isn't?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 pm 
Dolphin

DirtyHabit wrote:
If you have the stock guides at the back of the trailer leave the just the tips of them exposed above the water line...that usually (at least for us) puts the bunks in the right spot under water to center the boat as you drive onto the trailer.

Thanks, this is a good idea, and I'll give it a try next time. I know I do back it in pretty far

DirtyHabit wrote:
...and when you find the sweet spot that centers your boat as you drive on ...mark the line with black tape so you can see when to stop backing the trailer into the water. Might take a few tries to get it....and you may even have to back a little deeper once you get the boat cenetered so you can winch it all the way up to the bow roller....but it will save you alot of hassle in the end trying to get the thing on straight.

Hope that helps!!

Another good idea. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:54 pm 

My 2c

If the trailer is not level on the ramp the boat will not be level on the trailer. Putting the trailer in the water at an angle to the tow vehicle can sometimes help.

Don't back the trailer in too far, as others have stated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:22 pm 

rchamberlin wrote:
Yep the others are all working fine. Any ideas on if the alarm would still work even if the gauge isn't?

Hmmm, I don't have an alarm so I don't know. I would assume that the alarm and sending unit are connected somehow. Find your temp sending unit and start tracing wires (pia).

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 pm 
Dolphin

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Hmmm, I don't have an alarm so I don't know. I would assume that the alarm and sending unit are connected somehow. Find your temp sending unit and start tracing wires (pia).

That brings up another question. In my owners manual it says that there is a temp alarm. Since I'm assuming I have a replacement dash, should I assume that the alarm would still be there?