www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:38 pm 
Seahorse

First off, this sucked. :cry:

But I learned a lot from it including how important it is to use your own towing equipment, what to check before every tow and how to get away with a cheap, but solid boat hole repair (For my young fellow broke college students trying to get some ride time in with the ladies). :D 8)

Brief
Coming home after a nice long day on the water I lost the boat from the trailer on the freeway. The nut on the trailer ball had backed its way off and all it took was one good bump to pop it out of his hole. Once free from the truck, the boat swayed quickly back and fourth till my safety chains failed. This sent the boat into the shoulder and colliding into the retaining wall. The only thing that did its job was the safety brake on the trailer engaging immediately and slowing the boat down enough to limit its impact and kept it from leaving the shoulder. Nobody was injured and the only damage was to my boat, one blown trailer tire and ruined electrical connectors for lighting.

Failures
1. No lock washer on the trailer ball threading
We used a friends truck to tow the boat that day and he had a pin secured, slide in style ball/hitch. He had two, one as a primary and one as a backup for parts without the lock nut (guess which one was grabbed by mistake). Lesson learned, check for a lock washer and a secured nut. I now give it a good yank with a wrench at the start of each day and when I leave the water.

2. Failed safety chains
I never found the safety chains so it is safe to say they it failed from the bolt (at the least). They were rusted, but not bad. Make sure these are in good condition, but here is the kicker. When I registered it in Massachusetts to make her road worthy trip, they have a visual inspection done and require 2 bolts, not sharing the same slot, with each supporting one chain... 1 bolt with 1 chain at 1 contact point times 2. California does not visually inspect this and if they do they sure didn't do mine. This would have been a game changer. I recommend this precaution and taking the time to purchase the correct size bolt to equal the yank from a failing boat that ways (how ever much the boat ways).
3. Ensure your brake cable is crimped firmly and attached well.
Steel braided cable, crimps and metal hook/carabiner. If your store wont crimp your parts together I recommend a vise and a small pin/screw driver between the vice teeth and the crimp. You will figure it out.

Learned Lessons
1. Don't borrow anything from anything and if you have to, inspect it.
2. Use a lock washer at all times and for some extra protection: Lock Tight or a second bolt.
3. Keep a wrench handy and always check-tight the ball nut and safety chains nut.
4. Keeping a jack stand handy, to act as the truck point, is necessary in this scenario to change the blown tire.
5. Keep some old bike lights (2) in the truck to act in place of broken lights that can flash (cause all problems go till the night).

Boat Repair

Once over the fact that it happened, its was time to get busy. This is what I did.

1. Looked around the boat, inside and out, looking for major stress cracks and damage. I luckily didn't find any and my shafts were in line.
2. Cut away the dead stuff. Remove Bumper trim, cut away the broken stuff. I used a dremel tool and squared things off the best I could.
3. Prepare the area with sanding
4. Head to your local plastic store and purchase a little bit of their most heavy duty woven fiberglass alternative and normal fiberglass.
5. Apoxy/Resin I used was from an airplane build, but you can get stuff best for boats ( I went for overkill).
6. Apply a backing ( I used cardboard with clothe on it) from the inside and secure string to it with a screw to pull for applied pressure. I tied mine to a tree.
7. Alternate, woven fabric and fiberglass, over and over again, sanding in between till you have it filled and sandable to match the outside hull. If its at the hull line where both top and bottom come together, dont worry about lining it up. You will dremel the extra off later and the new bumper trim will cover up a lot of it.
8. I DIDNT USE BONDO, IT DOESNT LIKE WATER FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD AND RESEARCHED. I settled with the apoxy/resin and added cotton and glass to it to make it stronger and a durable putty. Cotton worked well for applying and shaping.
9.Paint choice was tough, this is my first boat and I am on a budget so I found a white, water resistant base primer that looked really good. I applied it and let it be.

After 2 weeks of work, casually applying a layer a day with sanding after work, she was finished. You be the judge of looks and repair quality. I took it out 2.5 weeks after the damage and she ran great with not water compromise inside the boat. Job well done.

As a first time boat owner I learned a lot from this and I hope you do to in order to keep the boats on the water and not on the side of the freeway. Slap a sticker over it and get back out there :lol: :roll: :D 8) :roll:

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Looks like you did a good job....way better than I could. Very fortunate it wasn't much much worse. That damage is above waterline too so all should be good. Looks like it took a glancing blow instead of a direct smack.

Get ya some vinyl custom stickers for both sides and your good...not expensive and I'm looking to get some for mine.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28 am 
Seahorse

Thanks, it was definitely an eye opening experience. Not usually one of those people who doesn't dot the i's and cross the t's before I do anything. Such an interesting way for it to fail. Never heard of it before.

Lessons learned and I spread the knowledge every chance I get.

And yes, already have the big sticker ready!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:46 am 
Shark

Ouch!
Holy moly that looked bad. bet there was a few choice words!
Great effort/job on the repair, top work. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:11 am 

Looks great!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:20 am 

Looks good, glad it wasn't worse than.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:27 am 
230 Mike

So no rub rail in that area now?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:03 am 

Great write up. and great job getting it done and back to boating.

I had a similar event when I was in my 20's (I'm 51 now). My 16' old ski boat and trailer went off the road and into the woods at 50mph. The trailer hit a stump and folded in half. The boat continued without the trailer for another 75 feet, and was stopped by another stump that tore out a gash in the bottom hull that was 7 feet long. There were also two other holes. I did a repair like yours that was from the inside and outside that took me 3 months to complete.

Those are great ideas also. I have both chains on opposite ends of the same bolt, so I will change to two different bolts. Also like the idea of having some basic alternate battery powered lights to use as spares.

I have one more thing for you to check:
When you said that the boat swayed back and forth and broke the chains... it should not do that. That sway is indicative of not enough tongue weight. Did the tongue raise up when it came undone, or did it try to drop to the ground? You may want to check your tongue weight. It should be at least 300 lbs for a boat that size.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:27 am 

Great job on the repair and the write up is appreciated. Not trying to harp on you but want to make sure you learn from it. The hitch had to be making a ton of racket when you stopped and then when u accelerated. Some people accept this is normal. I do not! You now have learned and are very aware of these things. I hauled a bobcat for a friend and they had the wrong ball size but I had enough trailer tongue weight to not loose it until I went to u load it. The whole way there I was saying somethings not right, we both learned. As a boater for a while and have lots of friends who are not. Never trust your friend who isn't a boater. I drove home about 50 miles from the lake and my buddy pulled the anchor in and didn't put the pin in. Lucky I didn't bounce if off the road and through my hull.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:24 am 

230 Mike wrote:

One source for Rub Rail materials is Taco Metals:
http://tacomarine.com/category/cat_four_winns/Four-Winns

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:34 am 

Glad no one was hurt. The repairs look solid. Good work!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:44 pm 
Seahorse

230 Mike wrote:

I am looking to order the rail once we get closer to boating season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:45 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks everyone for the good vibes. Hope this can help the next person out!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:52 pm 
Seahorse

Rick2752 wrote:
Great job on the repair and the write up is appreciated. Not trying to harp on you but want to make sure you learn from it. The hitch had to be making a ton of racket when you stopped and then when u accelerated. Some people accept this is normal. I do not! You now have learned and are very aware of these things. I hauled a bobcat for a friend and they had the wrong ball size but I had enough trailer tongue weight to not loose it until I went to u load it. The whole way there I was saying somethings not right, we both learned. As a boater for a while and have lots of friends who are not. Never trust your friend who isn't a boater. I drove home about 50 miles from the lake and my buddy pulled the anchor in and didn't put the pin in. Lucky I didn't bounce if off the road and through my hull.

Thank you for the positive reinforcement. This writeup is in addition to the lessons learned. There was not a lot of noise being made. The ball sits in the hitch snug limiting lateral movement. Being on the freeway for 60 miles didn't help either to notice any noise. I couldn't tell you when the nut fell off, but what I can say is that I hit a major dip on the freeway which caused the severe vertical movement to pop it up and out. The ball was the right size as it was still in the trailer post-crash.

Sadly, this lesson learned was a tough one to swallow. Thankfully no one got hurt. The greater point here was to ensure what to check for more often when towing, regardless of which or whose equipment used.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:54 pm 
Seahorse

rpengr wrote:
230 Mike wrote:

One source for Rub Rail materials is Taco Metals:
http://tacomarine.com/category/cat_four_winns/Four-Winns

I will take a look, thanks for the link!